Wednesday, March 18, 2015

An unprivileged place

We went back to the Boys and Girls Club today to play with the children. I listened to the stories of these children, some of who talked about unfortunate things that have happened to them in the past. In our reflection on Tuesday evening, we learned about privilege. We realized that some people happen to more privilege than others based on a variety of circumstances (such as socioeconomic status and identity). For others, it is significantly harder to reach goals no matter how hard they try. For example, it is likely that I would be able to reach my goals much easier, on average, than these kids who have similar goals, simply because I come from a more privileged background. Although the children's stories came as a shock to me, going to the Boys and Girls Club made me realize that based on their circumstances, these kids think that their lifestyles and histories are just what they are and that there's nothing to do about it. It made me uncomfortable that they so unwillingly accepted something that shouldn't have to happen to anyone, much less a child.

In the end, this is unfortunate, and it shouldn't have to be like this. I've been to a Boys and Girls Club in a different location with higher tier staff and training, which makes an obvious difference in how kids enjoy the experience. But this facility in Huntington fosters the feelings of disinterest and indifference that are otherwise reinforced at home or school. While it makes me feel more fortunate that I grew up under privileged circumstances, it also makes me feel terribly sad for these children who have little guidance or supervision in such an unhealthy environment.

No comments:

Post a Comment