Monday, March 16, 2015

Kids these days

I guess I haven't spent an extended period of time with middle school girls in a while, but today was an eye-opening experience for me. I spent the day at the Boys and Girls Club of Huntington and quickly attached to three girls, probably 12 years old. The girls seemed just like I did in middle school at first, trying to fit in but also having fun on their own. Then the conversation got deeper. The girls casually talked about having a parent in jail or getting suspended from school or even having classmates locked up. The topics came up so naturally and they shared openly about these issues that seemed so monumental to me. The trio were also much less naive that I was at their age, talking about boys and using language I didn't know the meaning of at 12. I was shocked at how fast they seemed to be growing up, but it was normal for them.

Today made me appreciate the world I've come from, the way I've grown up and the opportunities I've had. The positive influences in my life never felt as important as they did today. I am so grateful for the people who pointed me in the right direction and and the environment in which I was raised. I hope that in the few days I have the chance to interact with teenage girls at the Boys and Girls club that I can be at least one positive influence in their lives. They may not remember me or my name, but I hope they'll remember some of the things we've talked about and the good lessons I've tried to instill.

No comments:

Post a Comment